Monday, February 21, 2011

Be Mine with Cookies & Cream Bites

Cookies & Cream Bites
adapted from Peace Meals by the Junior League of Houston
makes 30 bites

ingredients:
1 package Oreos (1 lb, 2 oz)
8 oz cream cheese (1/3 less fat), softened
14 oz chocolate candy coating
sprinkles

directions:
1. Grind Oreos in a food processor and once crumbled add in cream cheese and combine until no cream cheese can be seen.
2. Transfer mixture to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
3. Once the mixture is chilled form into 1” balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and then chill for another 15 minutes.
4. Melt chocolate candy coating and dip balls into the chocolate using a skewer or toothpick, then dip into sprinkles and place back on cookie sheet to dry.

These cookies & cream bites were super easy to make and super rich and chocolately. They pulled double duty since Scott and I sampled some as part of our Valentine’s dessert tray and then the remainder was consumed at the monthly birthday celebration at work. Believe me when I say they didn’t last long. I'll admit I ate at least 6 Oreos before actually getting started. I was thrilled with the short ingredient list and also bought the store brand ingredients to save a little money. Next time I think I’ll buy the double stuffed Oreos. The best part was the Kroger brand candy coating came in its own microwavable tray so I didn’t have to rig a double boiler and had one less dish to clean. I used a small cookie scoop so I only made about 18-19 instead of the 30 suggested and I’m sure part of that was the upfront quality control testing.

No comments: